Response to Hate 2017
Indiana Response to Hate Conference
Presented by the Central Indiana Alliance Against Hate and the Fair Housing Center of Central Indiana
Thursday, August 17, 2017
8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
The Central Indiana Alliance Against Hate, a project of the Fair Housing Center of Central Indiana (FHCCI), is pleased to announce the inaugural Indiana Response to Hate Conference. With increasing incidents of hate based crimes and incidents, we feel it is important to bring people together committed to combating and addressing hate through this first of its kind training opportunity.
DATE/TIME: The Inaugural Indiana Response to Hate Conference will be held on Thursday, August 17, 2017 at the Marriott East in Indianapolis from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Registration opens at 8:00 AM along with a continental breakfast. The conference will begin promptly at 9:00 AM. Please be sure to arrive by 8:30 AM to receive your registration packet and breakfast.
KEYNOTE SPEAKER AND FEATURED SPEAKERS: We are very excited to announce that Judy Shepard, Anti-Hate Crimes Activist and Mother of Matthew Shepard, will be our luncheon keynote speaker.
However, Ms. Shepard is not alone in speaking at the conference. We have a full agenda of phenomenal speakers including:
- Miriam Zeidman of the Anti-Defamation League
- Jeannine Bell, Author and Richard S. Melvin Professor of Law at Indiana University
- Lydia X. Z. Brown, Disability Rights Advocate
- Hilary Shelton of the NAACP-Washington DC Bureau
- Pardeep Kaleka of Serve 2 Unite
- David Sklar of the Jewish Community Relations Council
- Rima Khan Shahid of the Muslim Alliance of Indiana
- Amber O’Haver of the Indiana Statewide Independent Living Council (INSILC)
- Kerry Steiner of the Indiana Native American/Indian Affairs Commission
- And others that are currently pending!
AGENDA: A draft agenda can be viewed here. Please note that the schedule and speakers are subject to change. You can download the conference program here – please note that this is a large file and download times may vary by your internet speed.
CONFERENCE COST: The registration cost for this all-day event is only $40/person if registered on or by July 16, 2017. After this date, the cost will be $55/person. This registration fee assists with the costs of the speaker related costs, audio/visual needs, continental breakfast, lunch, and beverage. Due to hotel meal count requirements, we are unable to provide refunds after July 31, 2017.
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS: 6.5 credits for social workers have been approved by the National Association of Social Workers-Indiana Chapter.
REGISTRATION: To register for the conference, click here. Registration is required. Space is limited. Your registration is not considered complete until payment is received.
- Those who want to send checks instead of an online payment, should register online, choose the check option, and mail payment to the FHCCI. Please note our new mailing address of 445 N. Pennsylvania Street, Suite 811, Indianapolis, IN 46204. Checks must be received by August 10, 2017 for your registration to be confirmed.
- If you have any problems in completing your registration or need an alternative option, please contact Brady at the FHCCI.
- Please be sure to note any reasonable accommodation or dietary needs in the applicable area of your registration or contact the FHCCI.
PARKING: Parking at the conference center/hotel is free.
SLEEPING ROOMS: There is a small block of sleeping rooms for the evening of August 16, 2017 available at the Marriott East for $141 plus tax. Just mention the Indiana Response to Hate Conference for this great rate. Please contact the Marriott East directly at 317-352-1231 for details. This block expires on July 17, 2017 so be sure to reserve any sleeping rooms promptly.
ACCOMMODATIONS FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES: Please contact Brady at the FHCCI if any accommodations are needed or note on your registration. Alternate formats of materials will be available upon request for those with disabilities. Please note that an American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter will be provided.
This conference is a low-fragrance event. Please consider no perfumes, colognes, or other scented cleaning, hygiene, or cosmetic products to ensure that persons with chemical sensitivities can enjoy the conference.
SCHOLARSHIPS: A limited number of registration scholarships are available for those of low-incomes. Approval of a scholarship would reduce the registration fee to $10. Contact Amy at email@example.com for details or review the Scholarship Application Form (pdf) or Scholarship Application Form (word).
SPONSORS: Your registration fee does not cover all the per person meal costs and associated expenses. If you are interested in being a sponsor, please contact Amy at the FHCCI. Sponsor info can be downloaded here. A BIG thank you to the following sponsors:
Indiana Statewide Independent Living Council (INSILC)
(INSILC is assisting in speaker related costs for Lydia X. Z. Brown)
QUESTIONS: If you have any questions about the conference, contact the FHCCI. We hope to see you on August 17th! To learn more about the Central Indiana Alliance Against Hate, click here.
Date(s) - Aug 17 2017
9:00 AM - 4:30 PM