Sexual orientation generally refers to a person who identifies as heterosexual, gay, lesbian, or bisexual.
Recent guidance issued by the federal government confirms that fair housing laws protect persons from housing discrimination due to their sexual orientation under the federal protection of gender.
- HUD Implementation of Executive Order 13988 on the Enforcement of the Fair Housing Act, February 11, 2021
- Executive Order on Preventing and Combating Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation, January 20, 2021
- HUD Memo on Investigation of Complaints Regarding Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Gender Expression, June 15, 2010
- HUD Guidance on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Protection under the Federal Fair Housing Act, July 1, 2010
- HUD Final Rule on Equal Access to HUD Programs Regardless of Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity, February 2, 2012
- Indianapolis/Marion County Ordinance (includes sexual orientation) (choose the link for Chapter 581)
- An Estimate of Housing Discrimination Against Same-Sex Couples, U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development, June 2013
- Opening Doors: An Investigation of Barriers to Senior Housing for Same-Sex Couples, Equal Rights Center, February 24, 2014
- Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate and NAGLREP Release Findings from First-of-its-Kind National LGBT Study Dedicated to Homeownership, July 2015