Equal Housing is Still the Issue – Fair Housing Conference
April is Fair Housing Month! The Indiana Civil Rights Commission (ICRC), the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority (IHCDA), the Fair Housing Center of Central Indiana (FHCCI), the Back Home in Indiana Alliance (Back Home) and accessABILITY hopes to bring greater awareness and understanding regarding the rights and responsibilities under fair housing laws with their conference titled “Equal Housing is STILL the Issue.”
**NEW** – Post Conference Handouts:
For those who attended the conference, below are the speaker handouts:
**NEW** – Post Continuing Education:
- Indiana Real Estate Commission for 2M/5E: CE Registration – Broker (CE2110042) and CE Registration – Sales (CE21100043)
- 5 Continuing Legal Education Credits
Thanks to all the partners, volunteers and participants for a great fair housing event. Stayed tuned for news for next year’s event…
Conference Info/Parking/Continuing Education: Click here for additional information on the conference, parking, detailed session descriptions, speaker biographies, continuing education credits and sponsor information. A conference agenda follows:
- 8:00-9:00 AM: Registration
- 9:00-9:15 AM: Welcome, Jamal Smith, Executive Director, Indiana Civil Rights Commission & Remarks, Philip Shelton, Director, HUD Indianapolis Office
- 9:15-10:15 AM: Fair Housing Across America, Bryan Greene, General Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Office of Fair Housing & Equal Opportunity, U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development
- 10:15-10:30 AM: Break
- 10:30 AM-12:30 PM: Opening a Closed Door: The Rights and Responsibilities Under Fair Housing Laws, Chris Brancart, Partner, Brancart & Brancart
- 12:30-1:30 PM: Lunch (to be provided thanks to our sponsors) – Lunch will include a “Leadership Listens” session which will allow attendees to share experiences, provide public comment or ask questions on fair housing issues.
- 1:30-2:45 PM: Can the Doggy in the Window Live in My House: A Guide to Reasonable Accommodations, Erin Kemple, Executive Director, Connecticut Fair Housing Center
- 2:45-3:00 PM: Break
- 3:00-4:00 PM: Am I Welcome to Live Here? Analyzing the Impact of Discriminatory Advertising, Amy Nelson, Executive Director, Fair Housing Center of Central Indiana
- 4:00-4:15 PM: Closing
Exhibit Note: The conference also includes the Chicago Freedom Movement Photography Exhibit assembled by Bernard J. Kleina, who is the former Executive Director of HOPE Fair Housing in Wheaton, IL. The photo exhibit includes Mr. Kleina’s rare historic photographs that depict Dr. King, Coretta Scott-King, Rev. Jesse Jackson,Andrew Young, Al Raby and many more. This exhibit has been shown in over 40 cities and Mr. Kleina will be available for questions.
Cost/Registration: There is no cost for this conference. However, pre-registration is required. You may register at the bottom of this page. Register early as space may be limited. Please contact us if your plans change.
Accommodations/Dietary Needs: Those with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation, may contact Brad Meadows at 317-232-2651 or email@example.com or note such in the comments section of the pre-registration. If you have any special dietary needs, please note as well and we will attempt to accommodate.
A press release may be viewed here as well.
Date(s) - Apr 18 2013
9:00 AM - 4:15 PM
State of Indiana Government Center
This event is fully booked.